City of Rye, NY

Police Department

Phone Numbers:
Emergency: 911
(914) 967-1234
Fax (914) 967-8341

Police Department > Public Information Concerning Flood


Public Information Concerning  Flood



To report emergencies where there is an immediate and serious threat to life or property, call 911.

If you have experienced property or vehicle damage from the recent storm and flood, you should contact your insurance agent.

If you have any questions or concerns related to health issues associated with the flood, please contact the Westchester County Health Department hotline at (914) 813-5000.

If water has entered your home you should contact a licensed electrical inspector to have your home inspected and certified as safe to enter. If there is any sign of structural damage to your home (loose foundation, shifting of the structure, etc.) you should contact a structural engineer for an inspection.

Home improvement contractors licensed to do business in Westchester County may be found at Westchester County's licensed home improvement contractors website. Alternatively you may search the yellow pages for a contractor.

Please note that severe injury or death can occur if there is standing water in your home and you still have electric service. If this condition exists you should vacate your home until an electrical inspection has been made and the home certified as safe to use. Likewise, a home with obvious structural damage should be vacated until inspected and certified as safe by a structural engineer.

You should maintain records of any items lost due to flood or water damage, including receipts for repairs and/or replacement items, and take photographs if possible of damage, to facilitate your claim with your insurance company.

For additional help, please see:
Coping With a Flood - Before, During and After
FEMA Disaster Information